What are essential oils?
So what exactly are essential oils, what are they used for and why would we use them?
Essential oils are any plant-based oil that contains a mixture of chemical compounds and have an aroma characteristic of the plant (https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Essential-oils). They are most commonly used in aromatherapy, a practise that uses the plant extracts to support health and wellbeing.
They are obtained through their native plant through distillation or mechanical methods. Once the aromatic chemicals have been extracted, they are combined with a carrier oil to create a product that is ready to use.
The way the oils are made is extremely important, as essential oils obtained through chemical processes are not considered true essential oils!
These luxurious oils are usually massaged into the skin, inhaled, or immersed in water (such as through a diffuser). Although there is little evidence to suggest the role it plays in medicine, it remains as a popular contemporary therapy for certain health concerns.
(However, please note, essential oils should never be consumed. This can be extremely dangerous and can result in poisoning.)
Don’t know where to start?
There are many types of essential oils but there are a few that stand out from the rest for the benefits they are perceived to bring.
We’ve compiled a list of our personal favourites to help you narrow down the choices:
- Lavender – this is one we are particularly familiar with (hello, #beautysleep range!). We use it in our products to help relieve stress, relax and unwind before bedtime
- Chamomile – you’ll also find chamomile throughout some of our products as it helps to soothe and promote better sleep
- Peppermint – may assist with relieving the common cold and headaches, helps to aid digestion and may relieve nausea
- Eucalyptus – can decongest the nose and commonly used as a disinfectant
- Sandalwood – may help relieve anxiety and improve focus
- Bergamot – increases mood and relieves stress
Now if you don't mind us, we're off to add some Chamomile Essential oil to our diffuser.
Cass and Carly xx
We're on a mission to weave
Into every busy womans world! Why you ask? Because this little powerhouse mineral is involved in over 300 processes in our bodies and most of us are not getting enough, achy butt from Pilates, waking up overnight? We've developed multiple ways for you to weave this mineral into your world. If you do ONE thing for yourself Make It Magnesium.